About the Dowlais Engine House

A Brief History of Dowlais Engine House

The Engine House was originally built in 1905 with 188 thousand tons of iron rails were exported all over the world every year. Of course iron became steel and the large old buildings of yesteryear became obsolete leaving Dowlais with only the industrial relics to remember those hardworking days of prosperity.

People from all over Europe came to work at Dowlais in those days when work was plentiful. The Engine House has been used for many different purposes over the years from a second hand car sales business, haulage contractors depot, toy wholesaler and many more until finally ending up in the hands of a chocolate factory across the road as a storage facility.

It is now home to Pant & Dowlais Boys and Girls Club (Charity No:1140505)who are a growing charitable organisation whose aim is to develop and educate the young people of Merthyr Tydfil by fulfilling their physical, mental and spiritual needs in as many ways as possible. This is achieved by the hard work of the employee’s and also the numerous volunteers that the organisation needs to ensure that the children achieve their own personal goals and ambitions.

The Engine House is now home to numerous football and netball teams, along with a miriad of different activities which offer something for everyone to involve themselves in. The facility is also used by many organisations for a wide range of activities during the daytime, from training sessions to conferences. We work closely with local schools carrying out football, netball and environmental sessions during the week with children who then attend the Engine House for some of the many different activities currently on offer.

Follow us on Facebook

Find us on Facebook

Free Joomla! templates by AgeThemes